Monday 25 January 2016

#SUPERMODEL… SANELE XABA



Like fellow new-generation models—Cara Delevingne, Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner, Sanele Xaba is a post “It” model. Unlike anonymous models of the recent past, they have a personality and not just a photogenic mannequin. They are instant celebrities who have built their fame online; their easy-going and relatable nature is an outlook that carries over to their Instagram feed.

As we countdown to menswear fashion week, we catch up with Sanele Xaba, the man who models covetable clothes on the runway and on the street.




What made you want to become a model?
There is a lack of diversity in the modelling industry... especially models with a sporadic look, as risky as it was I saw that there is no male model with albinism in South Africa or Africa for that moment and my plan is just to diversify the industry

 
‘I have a problem with people saying “SA’s first albino male model” I have a problem because albinism is a condition; a person cannot “be an albino.” We still have a lack of knowledge of albinism in Africa.’





How were you discovered?
I was discovered on Facebook by my former Agent Derrick Mhlongo who is the director of Lindoni models, he gave me the foundation I needed especially as a 15 year old not knowing anything about the industry.





How do you say in shape?
I do a lot of squats and push ups, I think these two exercises work the whole body... I also believe that meditating is a way of also staying in shape, I meditate for 10 minutes a day in the morning, and it keeps the mind in shape too.




Do you have a skin care routine?
Yes I do... I believe that taking care of your skin is crucially important, I moisturise my face day and night and exfoliate twice a week with Cetaphil and Bioderma products, I also believe that one should never leave the house without applying sunblock, regardless of your complex... The sunrays never loved us.

 
‘People should be able to see albinism as a different shade, not as a “race” or a group of people. That’s what I am trying to endorse through this platform given to me as a model with albinism in South Africa.’


How do you prepare for the runway?
I don't prepare... I believe in praying daily so I just go with the flow, when the nerves kick in backstage I just imagine everyone in the audience as watermelons when I'm on the runway...




Describe the atmosphere when you're at s shoot?
It’s usually chilled; it’s good to have a relationship with everyone on set... Everything just goes smoothly and there is an understanding




Tell me about the background chaos at fashion week
There is a lot of eating that I can tell you, designers being late, while models wait for them from the wee hours of the morning (sometimes vice versa) last minute touch ups, having to squeeze into a size 9 when you are a 11, show producers shouting backstage, having to ask people for chargers, its hectic




Best advice about your career that you've ever received?
“Keep low and stay firing my boy” – Momma

“I attribute my confidence to my mother and my faith. At home I was taught never to think I was different or inadequate, never to see albinism as a disability. My upbringing made me a brazenly strong, independent man. I don’t think I would have been a model if it weren’t for my upbringing and bullheadedness.”



How would you describe your personal style?
Very casual and laid back, but I have a dual life I also work at an insurance company so I also have to dress formal Monday to Friday


Where do you generally shop?
I shop everywhere. If the clothes look good, I will buy it, it just shouldn’t be ridiculously expensive... I'm actually digging H&M at the moment

What is your favourite item in your closet?
Hmmm that's a tricky one, I'd have to say my jeans, I really don't have a favourite to be honest Lol


What does fashion mean to you?
Expression... just being who you are, not giving a rats behind about what people say and using clothes and accessories to showcase your uniqueness

 
My aim is to pretty much make my work look versatile, not necessarily saturate it but I think it’s a good way to make people aware of albinism especially when it commercial gigs. I think it will be a way to make people aware that the is nothing magical or different about having albinism and that I am not any different from the person next to me; just that I lack melanin.




What is your most memorable modelling moment?
Doing an Adidas Campaign... That was my memorable moment
 My plan is to make my look more versatile and not only boxed in high fashion shoots and runway, I think the Adidas campaign was a stepping stone to bring more diversity in South African’s modelling industry.

Since you are in a competitive industry, how do you cope with rejection?
It depends... I always analyse my criticism; sometimes I just ignore it as it has to be constructive rejection... But other than that I disregard it.




What do your family & friends think of you being a model?
They think it's cool, but they are on the "academics first" tip
His Instagram is an unfiltered feed of his thoughts, the is an openness to Sanele’s Instagram that’s refreshing each time it pops up in my feed.



How do you unwind?
Chilling with close friends with family and listening to Jazz Music, I'm an Avid Jazz Fan by the way

If you weren't a model, what would you do? 
I would have been a pianist or Lawyer

When it comes to me career, nudity....  Is Art Lol but make sure you gonna get paid for it and it’s for a sensible cause don’t do naked for naked’s sake

  
You need to love yourself- your flaws- and be the best version of yourself in the modelling industry. Confidence is key.


What is your stand-out characteristic?
Being a Vanillabone and being proud of my albinism.
“The future of fashion means inclusiveness. It means diversity. Fewer boundaries.  And creativity. The future of fashion sees everyone as beautiful human, and where being unique pays, especially in South Africa”



What do you hope the future brings?
A lot of travelling and growth in all aspects of life




Images supplied by Sanele Xaba
Follow Sanele on Instagram: @sanele_xaba Twitter: @Sanelejunior_


No comments:

Post a Comment