Monday 5 October 2015

A DAY WITH MAKEUP ARTIST MARCO LOUIS.



From a fashion background in Cape Town, to working retail artistry in Johannesburg, to finally finding himself smack bang in the middle of the fast metropolis that is Lagos, Nigeria. Marco Louis has loved nothing more than painting faces in Africa. 




5.00am  Living in Lagos will leave you facing many challenges amidst the bliss.  One of those things is the traffic so getting up at the crack of dawn is vital if you want to make your appointments on time.   

I always start my day with a fresh cup of brew.  The worst days of my week are the ones where coffee did not happen first thing.  I do try to stay fit, although I am not too into working out.  A good skipping session is always in order.  My apartment features a great view so that paired with some sweat and quiet always makes for a good day.  When I feel truly inspired on the rare morning I make use of my punching bag that is suspended from my staircase.



5.45am  A refreshing shower and some pampering in the minimal time that I have is what follows.  I do try to take care of my skin.  MAC Cosmetics features an incredible range of Prep + Prime and skincare products so naturally I indulge in these. Moisturizing is the key for having your skin feel and look its best.  I also enjoy to refine my skin to a certain extent so my MAC tinted moisturizer is the perfect sidekick. 

Being raised by a mom who is always on point, I usually pick out an outfit for the day the night before.  A weather check definitely helps with this.  I really believe that what you wear affects who you are so I take some time on my selection.  If you feel good, every interaction you have after will be one that is mutually beneficial. 

If I decide not to wear my natural curls, I go at it with a flat iron.  Either way, I try to reflect a definite sense of effortlessness.  I am a lot less put together than it seems, and my work I try to be as comfortable as possible. 
 


6.45am  Some scrambled eggs are the perfect fill of protein to keep me going for the morning. A side of Avocado and another coffee and I am good to go.  

I am very much a thinker.  So I take a few moments to literally just sit there, reflect on yesterday and dream of what today could be like.  I am very much an enthusiast. I love the thought of a new day with endless possibilities. 


7.30am  At this point my driver would have arrived.  Please note that this is by no means being fancy. The norm in Nigeria is to have a driver, I guess when my schedule slows down I will take a jab at learning to handle the Lagosian streets.   

If I am not requested to do radio, TV or interactional work with the media most of my days are spent in store with the fantastic artists in all of the Nigerian stores. 
 
Aside from all of the media work I am blessed to do, spending time with the artists has to be the most rewarding part of my role.   

The key goal for me in my work is not to retain my position.  At this point I represent MAC Cosmetics in Nigeria, Kenya, Ghana, Ivory Coast and Zambia.  Once they are ready to position themselves in my role, I can move on to a more influential position to again, develop the spectacular artists in Africa. 

My full day will be spent in store.  Most days I may have to dash off to meet with a blogger, designer, media representative or celebrity to discuss the possibility of a collaboration.  These are always great opportunities for me to spread the great message that is MAC Cosmetics. 


With Diana Opoti behind the Scenes of Day 8 of #100DaysOfAfricanFashion2015



4.30pm  I usually finish work around this time.  My driver will pick me up and make it back before the traffic gets too crazy.I will get home around 5.30pm, even though I live only 2.4km from one of the MAC store in the Palms, Victoria Island. 

After settling in and getting out of my all black attire.  I jump into some work out gear which include Nike everything, I am a bit of a fan, and go for a quick run around the complex I stay in. It’s a simple place with a lot of families, so the run is always pleasant. 


6.30pm  Though I am not very good at it, I do try to cook in the evenings.  My meals usually include fish or chicken, some favorite South African staples.  If I am not cooking I can always rely on the absolutely social community that is Lagos.  In my short time there I have made some  incredible friends, so dinners on week nights are a common affair.  A good meal, some vino and a great laugh make for a happy soul. 


10.00pm  When I arrive home I finish my day off with a cup of tea and at least  an hour of recapping my day, so some notes are made, some thinking is done and I prepare myself to take another 18 hours by the horns.
Around 11pm I pick an outfit, iron it, hang it above my wardrobe and put out all the accessories I need to match.  After a long shower I jump into bed with a glass of water, alarm set and get my happy thoughts together for a good night’s rest. 

The dreams I try to bring about are all based on trying to use this incredible opportunity I have been given to give everyone I interact with an understanding of the mediums they have.  No matter what you have to work with, everything you possess is a catalyst not only for your own success but for the success of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment