Monday 9 November 2015

DONALD NXUMALO…. MASTER OF BEAUTY



Style is subjective but the elements of style are pretty universal. Few people know this better than interior designer, interior stylist and space planner Donald Nxumalo, the first winner of Win a home season of design challenge on SABC 3.

I had so many questions and he had a lot of thinking, resulting into this honest, witty, informative and fascinating interview- just like the man himself.



When did you first get interested in interior designing? What sparked it, and when did you decide that it was what you were going to do?
I have always known what I wanted to do.  I was always concerned with beautiful spaces and creating them. I just didn't know that I'd be so popular from doing it. 


On afternoon express with Bonang Matheba




What does your work entail?
I create spaces that are functional and aesthetically pleasing for both residential and commercial clients.





What’s a day like in the life of an interior designer?
Wake up at 4am.  Open emails and respond. Plot my day and schedule site visits on my tablet. 
I visit the different sites or homes from 7 am. I am at the office at 9am. Between 11 am and 2pm I am either designing or sourcing fabrics and furniture for client’s projects and thereafter I'm usually meeting clients to discuss the status of their projects. Some clients are met after 6pm when they get home. 






What is your working environment like?
We have an office in Kramerville, Sandton. I have a full time assistant who keeps me on track.  On a daily basis our job is to keep contact with either suppliers and clients and make sure projects are completed on time, within budget and creatively. 

How would you describe your work to someone who has never seen it?
I am concerned with beautiful spaces that are practical and functional.  Whatever style we do, be it French, neoclassical, modern or sleek and contemporary, we aim to make it simple and elegant. That's our philosophy. 



What has been the most challenging part of being interior designer, and what advice do you have regarding that?

Meeting a client’s brief. Always keeping in mind that the client is the end user is a good guide to making a project practical.  It's no use having a beautiful space that's impractical for the people living in it.

In your opinion what’s the most important skill that an interior designer should have?
I think an interior designer needs many skills in order to function. One has to be creative, be business minded, and be a good manager as the role will have you overseeing client projects, sometimes as we've learned up to 12 projects at any time. 

Tell us something about that most people don’t know about your work/ the interior design industry?
We wear helmets and safety boots on site.  Interior designers are involved from the construction phase of a project. We work hand in hand with architects to create a suitable interior long before any furniture is thought of. We build and remove walls if needs be.

What tips can you give to budding interior designers who aspire to be as successful as you?
Take every opportunity that is given to you.  Look beyond the glamour of the "success" and focus on servicing all your clients equally and with integrity.  No project is ever too small if you're starting out. Take it and make it look epic and it will grow into something bigger.





What lessons did you take away from the Steyn City Four D Competition and what do you think made you a winner?
The competition had a series of challenges, 6 in total.  I won 3 of them. Each time having the least of money to complete the challenges.  I learned that having a small budget can be an asset as one will have to think creatively to achieve a room of maximum impact on a tiny budget. 

I think the skill of stretching the rand made me relatable to people at home and impressed the judges enough to select me as the winner. 


Do you still keep in touch with your mentor from the show?
Abilene Brodie from Head Interiors remains a big part of my journey as a designer. We text and call and have lunches to catch up. She is a prolific designer and I value her steadfast support for my career and personal development.  We are friends.




How did you make your house it into your own?
My home is a collection of pieces I love. Most of which I collect for future clients.

You started your business to pay for your final year of university and after graduating you were only employed for 18 months before branching out, how did you Know it was the right time to leave and focus entirely on your business?
It felt right. Although I struggled for a long time. I learned many lessons about client relationships and money.  Having learned these lessons at a young age made me mature design wise and business wise. 



2015 Power of 40… 40 men under the age of 40 doing extraordinary things in their various industries


100 rising stars to watch in the creative industry.



What is your weakness as an interior designer (and how do you make up for it)
I love my clients and I am obsessed with my business so this means that I work all the time.  I'm learning to strike the balance and devote more time to eating, gym, family and friendship.

In what ways do you keep current with trends?
I travel. I try make 3 international destinations per year. I'm going to Hong Kong in December.  I've already been to Zimbabwe, Nairobi and Zanzibar.  Travelling on my own continent has made me realise the treasures to be found in our craftsmanship. I'm thus inspired to incorporate beading and stitching as found in Kenya by the Masai tribes in my own interiors.  

With Fashion design we look to fashion shows to determine trends, how are trends determined in the world of interior design?
There are various design and furniture fairs happening around the word at different times. There are trend forecasters that advise on future trends too. The Internet is also a good guide to check out these fairs and trend forecasts

With clothing not all trends go with every body type, does every interior design trend go with every room?

Much like the body every space is individual.  A great tailored outfit made for a body will enhance that body's features and make the wearer feel special. Similar values apply to Interior design.  A space tailored to a client’s needs will make the occupants feel valued and special as the space will reflect who they are.  An Interior designer will do that for you. 

Do clients comparison shop? From which stores?
We custom make many of the items seen. We source mainly styling key items if needs be.

What projects have been the most exciting to do?
Doing the styling for Loads of living. It's a great brand I'm happy to be collaborating with.  

Shades of Cool readers are mostly students and people just starting out in life, any tips to keep their space trendy on a budget? Must haves?
Get rid of cartoon character bedding. Get a queen bed and dump colourful bed linen too. 
Get rid of plastic cups and switch it up for glass. 
Once that is done. Keep your space simple and clutter free. Invest in a nice couch. A good couch will last you a long time. 





What is the most unique thing in your portfolio?
All projects are individually tailored to each client and therefore unique.  

What is your favourite magazine or book about interior décor, what about a website?
I love ELLE DECORATION SA.  The spaces there are just so cool and fresh. No pretence there. Pintrest is my bible too. Lol





When I look for inspiration, I…travel and read lots of magazines and blogs

My 3 months internship with Kim Hutton… I did not go as I had plenty of clients and could not afford 3 months off my business

With the Steyn City Four D prize money I… got an office,  bought computers, furniture,  business cards, upgraded my wardrobe,  paid off my debt and serviced my car

Donald' styling tips…
Make wallpaper your friend.  Always get custom made curtains/window treatment as it looks much better. 
Think in 3"s; three ornaments in different sizes and shapes but in the same colour.
Black and white photography on walls is always a good idea









What tips can you give to budding interior designer who aspire to be as successful as you?
Take the time to study at a varsity. Work for someone a bit to learn the ins and outs of the industry before starting up your own business.
 
What’s your dream scenario of interior design in South Africa?
I would like to see us as Africans embracing our own cultural techniques such as weaving and beading and incorporating them into our designs, also for us to embrace diversity and colour in interior. Enough grey interior please.
Interior Design should be recognised as preferred career choice.


“Something wonderful about wallpaper is that it can change a room drastically and so easily”




Follow Donald Nxumalo on Intstagram @donaldnxumalo and Twitter @designerDony

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful <3 People get inspiration from anything. I love. :)

    ReplyDelete